2011 would have been our 50th year in business. Our family business was founded in 1961 in a small rented building….I entered the business in 1968.
I often wondered what it would be like if I had stayed in the business….what would I have done to make it to a 50 year anniversary?
Muskegon County has grown somewhat….though only 1 or2 % a year (current pop. 174,000).
Some thoughts on what if:
- Evolve into a complete home center
- Expand market area to West Michigan
- Develop a superb management team
- Divest ownership to the folks that help grow the business
- Continue in the family….eventually phase out
- Maximize the culture of employee care and customer care
- Develop strong supplier relationships
- Over deliver and under promise
- Protect the brand name.
- Enhance product / service guarantee
- Solidify community presence
There are more specific ideas and would have the family wanted to stay in the business….I often wonder.