Meijer, Inc. is the superstore chain in the midwest and is privately held. Annual sales of $12B+. Meijer was founded in Greenville, MI and its main offices are in Walker, MI. Stores are in MI, OH, IL, IN, KY and planned for WI.
Compared to Wal-Mart….Meijers is relatively small. Yet, Meijer competes very well against Wal-Mart….for these reasons:
- Concentrates its resources in five states.
- They know their customers.
- Have always had good customer service.
- Private corporation….so can take a long-term view.
- Strong values instilled by the Meijer family.
- Supports the community.
Has Meijer had some miscues….yes. Yet, over the years they have conducted business responsibly.