The SOFT Stuff
“Employers are troubled by graduates’ lack of soft skills. Many report that college grads are lacking in people skills and have trouble solving problems and thinking creatively.
The USA article lists five “soft” skills that are just as important as doing a complicated financial analysis or creating an elaborate spreadsheet.
- People skills – the ability to interact with others
- Problem solving skills – solving real world problems
- Verbal communications – speaking clearly and succinctly
- Leadership – developing leadership and team skills
- Written communications – writing with clarity
At The Michigan Business School some of these skills were only learned by instinct and experience. There weren’t any specific courses that I can recall.
Time to look at the current BBA and MBA programs to see if times have changed. Are “soft skills” part of the curriculum in 2015?