The development of an automobile is a very complex process….Car and Driver magazine (Jan. 2016) had an article on How They’re (automobiles) Are Made.
In most cases it’s a six-year process:
- Research – market and competitive assessment
- Design – interior/exterior, engineering reviews
- Engineering – advanced technologies, cost analysis
- Manufacture – design assembly, collaborate with suppliers
- Launch – define pricing, create marketing materials
An automotive career was not my choice….though I did have a small glimpse of it doing a project for Ford Motor at their Saline, MI parts plant….interviewing Federal-Mogel in Van Wert, Ohio and knowing a few folks at Sealed Power Corp in Muskegon.
The automobile industry has changed dramatically and for some companies interesting times ahead in future automobile development.